How to donate effectively
- Decide which cause(s) you would like to donate to: helping people or animals, the climate or the future?
- Assess which organizations you are donating to already. Are they effectively solving the problems in that area? How can you adjust your charitable giving to make it more effective? Make a decision that suits you.
- If you donate to an effective organization with an ANBI-status (a registered charity), you can claim tax relief.
- Choose to donate to a fund if you don’t want to research the most effective charities every year or if you would like to spread your donations across several charities. Find more information here.
- Would you like to make a single donation or donate regularly for at least 5 years? This is called a periodic donation and is tax deductible. You can learn more about the difference here.
- You can make a one-off donation directly via the Donate-button of the relevant EA organization on this website.
6.1 Since most EA organizations are not Dutch, donating with your credit card is often the only option.
6.2 Would you rather not use your credit card? There are several options, f.i. donating to the Centre for Effective Altruism (donations above €100). Info here.
- You can arrange a periodic donation with a written agreement between you and the organization. You can find instructions and examples here (NL) and here (EN). Given the administrative burden, some organisations have a threshold for periodic donations; e.g. for GiveWell this is € 1,000 per year.
- For major donations (> €10,000) we recommend you contact our helpdesk.
- We can also assist with inheritances.
- For any other questions or more information please contact our helpdesk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are more than happy to help you!